Follow @stuckinscared Stuck In Scared: One Class - Humanity

Friday 5 April 2013

One Class - Humanity

The following guest post was written and posted on twitter a couple of days ago by @THemingford   A few people including myself felt that it deserved a wider audience.                                               

ONE CLASS - HUMANITY!

So, I tried the "class calculator" on the BBC website, it was a bit telling.

To start with there was no option for "carer" or "unable to work due to disability or illness", which I feel discriminates! Both of the above options affect income but not through choice or because of "market forces" etc. 
It concluded I was an "emergent service worker", which I found odd!
Anyway, the interesting thing was that when I did it again but using the circumstances my wife and I were in before disability took over our lives I was very surprised at the result. 

Years ago, I was lucky enough to earn a lot of money and my wife and I also managed to build up a substantial nest egg. We had a nice house too!
As many of you will know, we lost all of this through disability. We lost our jobs, our house, sold our cars, and then lived off our savings until they were exhausted. After years of hard work, we were left with no money and no assets. 

The interesting thing was that the calculator put me in the Elite group. Now, the only thing that had changed between my first and second inputs was the financials - income, value home, owning, not renting. Yet, it had significantly displaced me in the classification.

Now, I know we can say that this is just a bit of fun, silly software that doesn't mean anything but, if this does reflect how I'm classified or what ‘class’ I'm perceived to be in, then this means that my disability has changed my social class. It means the class system places me in a different class because of changes in my life that were out of my control and down to disabilities. I find that very distasteful and offensive. 

I actually find the concept of "class" to be vile, egotistical, and an example of how divide and rule can be woven into society. 

If I was still fit, and my wife was okay, I dare say our income would still be high. The point is regardless of income we're still the same people. The fact that we can't work now due to disabilities does NOT change who we are. I personally think that this shows just what nonsense "class" is, and how divisive the concept is. 

At the end of the day, we are all people, and putting man-made, virtual barriers between one another does not help one another. From the womb to the tomb, we are all human. We all belong to one class - HUMANITY!   By Thomas Hemingford.

***************************************************************************************************************
Thank you as always friends for allowing me to share, Iv'e had an interesting week myself and will pop back sometime in the next few days to throw it all your way :O)

God bless you and all those you love

Kimmie x

Before you go can I ask you please to take a look at the WOW petition below? Please sign to help WOW fight Government cuts to Disability services and benefits! Thankyou x

Please join  and the WOW campaign in resisting the deaths and unnecessary suffering being caused: Sign the
For more information you can click on one of the links below:
 
Facebook WOWpetition 

The WOW Petition Forum

                                                 




No comments :

Post a Comment